Tuition Tax Credits
The SCDOR will review and finalize TC-57As as schools continue to be approved by the EOC. Tentative approval will be awarded on a first come, first served basis. Individuals approved for this tax credit will receive a notice from the SCDOR.
The application for tuition tax credit will open on Monday, September 17, 2018 at 12 noon.
- Parental (Refundable) Tax Credits Requested: $0
- Available Parental Credits: Approximately $2,000,000.00
Tax Credits for Tuition
Taxpayers are entitled to a first come, first served Parental Tax Credit toward their South Carolina income tax bill for the amount of tuition paid for an eligible exceptional needs child, within his custody or care, to attend a school approved for program participation by the Education Oversight Committee. Parental Tax Credits can only be claimed for actual out-of-pocket spending on tuition, up to $11,000. Taxpayers can use this tax credit to reduce their South Carolina income tax liability below zero, allowing them to receive a tax refund. The cap for this tax credit is $2,000,000.
- Parents or guardians make their payment to an eligible school for an exceptional needs student’s tuition.
- Parents complete and submit Form TC-57A to the South Carolina Department of Revenue to request the parental refundable credit. The tax credit application cannot exceed the amount paid out of pocket for the student’s tuition, up to $11,000. Exceptional SC scholarships are not considered an out of pocket payment and cannot be claimed for this credit. Please save documentation for your own records including the exceptional needs child’s proof of eligibility.
- The SCDOR confirms the “reservation” of the parental refundable credit, as long as the statewide $2,000,000 cap has not been met.
- When the family files South Carolina income taxes, the tentatively approved parental refundable credit amount is used to complete the I-361 form.
Adjustments Based on Exceptional SC Awards
- The Proviso that runs this program states that the combined dollar amount of a Parental Tax Credit and ECENC grant cannot exceed $11,000 or the cost of tuition, whichever is lower. If your tentatively approved credit needs to be adjusted due to an Exceptional SC award, you will receive an updated approval letter from the SCDOR.
- This adjustment allows the SCDOR to free up more tax credits for families still waiting for assistance.
- If you already filed your return and need to amend it, contact the SCDOR tax credit area for assistance at 803-898-5706.
- If you have not filed your return, claim the approved Parental Tax Credit amount stated on your most recent letter from the SCDOR using the form I-361.
Please contact the SCDOR for questions concerning the Tuition Tax Credit: [email protected] or 803-898-5706.